It’s important that we take responsibility for the results we produce and keep finding a better way.
Conquering the Grind
If there are so few role models in our profession that conquer the grind with a balanced lifestyle, how can we go above the norm?
Here are seven concepts worth considering as you move forward in this crazy business…
- Be the CEO of your life.
- Set up your calendar by scheduling days to plan, focus and re-charge.
- Take an honest look at how much of your day is spent reacting to the demands of the day as opposed to working your plan.
- Keep your energy level appropriate for the task, not necessarily with Red Bull.
- Use strategies that, ultimately, are not dependent on you. Empower others and technology to help you get things done in alignment with the vision set for the program.
- Spend time learning. The top performers in all fields spend uninterrupted time working their craft and often times they learn from other fields of expertise as well as their own.
- Keep an eye out for opportunities that will let you upgrade without the normal ‘wear and tear’ of doing it on your own. Throughout my life and in business, there have been numerous opportunities that have allowed me to learn things incredibly fast – without having to waste time doing it the hard way… Without having to spend time and money learning from my own mistakes… etc.
Exercise: Assess your time!
A great way to start the process of conquering the grind is to do a time assessment of your work day for 1 week. In doing so, put together a spreadsheet with the following columns: Time, Action On-Plan, Action Off-Plan. Break up the time segments into 20 minute blocks and check in every segment.
At the end of the day, assess how much of your time is spent working your plan as opposed to distractions and not working your plan. I’ve found this tool very useful in creating my daily routine, something that we will talk about later… What you find out in doing this exercise may surprise you!
Here’s the deal:
I am going to help you in creating strategies to become this ‘new-age’ football coach in future blog posts. Take a look at some of these concepts, give them a try and if they work for you, great. If not, take a look at another theory as you work to create the ‘work – life’ balance that is rare in our profession.
I believe you can happily achieve and live the life you desire by optimizing each aspect of your life.
Let’s sharpen that axe together and move forward!